8.31.2005

first foolishness

today was the first day. the first day they walked into my classroom. i've already made a fool of myself. instead of saying "lady audley's secret" (or some such nonsense) i said "lady chatterly's lover." once it came out, i couldn't stop myself. that was followed by: "oh dear, i think that is some wildly inappropriate french novel!" (it's not even french-i should know that right?) some looked shocked, others blank, some tittered nervously, i blushed. i still couldn't stop: "i can't believe i just referenced a wildly inappropriate french novel." yes, i used the words "wildly inappropriate french novel" once again. then just to make it clearer in all their fresh minds (notice i said FRESH, not FRENCH) i said: "that's almost as bad as referencing madame bovary." (that really is a wildly inappropriate french novel) a few more faces lit up. if they hadn't known what i was talking about before, i had just made it perfectly clear. i blushed once again (just to make sure it matched the exact shade of red in my hair). i then said the inane: "i think i'd better stop now." "yes," they were all thinking, "yes you really should..."

the bell rang.

i was elated.

later i was told that one of my students said my class was "lively."

i hope it goes better tomorrow...

1 comment:

serendipity said...

couldn't possibly be worse than me repeating some rapping nonsense that i had no idea what meant and should have just kept my lovely lips closed. there slammeed shut my open door at being "cool" and realized i only looked ridiculous and that i was going to have to find a new way to stay in touch with my students. :)