6.01.2006

to bee or not to bee

don't forget about the most shocking television on tonite. this annual event will be feasted with fish and alphabet soup at our house (the former as brain food, the latter as practice). go see bee information (look at the pictures for the most intensely geeky kids ever. they're spelling in their free time!)

can you spell ABC?
that is the question.

(oh, i couldn't leave well enough alone! yes, that's a boy with a list of words at a PIZZA PARTY! if you look closely at the mom's shirt, it says "WORD." geeky people being cool is so cool. you think i'm making fun. i'm not. love this stuff.)

10 comments:

Gloamer said...

i was always the kid who got out in the first few rounds. spelling has never ben my strong-point.

rules.

crt said...

not just rules
rules that make no sense
loathe spelling

steadybelieving said...

sweet...I always thought it'd be cool to be in one of those...I would lose Brian Reagan style("I knew there were two t's!")

elea said...

i couldn't spell to save my life (is it does or dose--i've always had the hardest time with that one) so i think i get some strange joy out of watching children 1/3 my age spell words i've never even dreamed of...plus it's a great time to learn new words.

one addendum: i just went to buy alphabet noodles, and the stoopit store didn't have them. yes, stoopit. i cursed them as i walked home.

steadybelieving said...

down with non-alphabet-soup-carrying establishments! huzzah!

The Female Wit said...

My scar word for life: "Rosy" or was it Rosie? OR ROSEE?? I'll never know. As I took the walk of shame back to my seat, my middle school life was over for about 4 minutes.

Justin said...

i will share my spelling bee anecdote:

when i was in fifth grade i was on the verge of making it to the district wide spelling bee.

it is me and one other student. the word is given. (can't remember what it was) i spell it--correctly. the moderator says, "i'm sorry, that is incorrect." she then tells me the correct spelling. (which is exactly how i spelled it) i return to my seat. the last kid spells his word correctly. everyone comes up to me afterword and says, "justin you spelled that word correctly."

and thus ends my spelling career.

Justin said...

word of the match: aubade

elea said...

i wrote that one down as one of my favorites!

poetry at dawn...beautiful.

Gloamer said...

you almost made it to districts!? Wow.

i feel like i should shake your hand or something.