1.04.2007

ebenezer

yet this remains love's plea:
"i won't let the Creator break His promise to me.
a great pledge, sealed and signed, to me was given,
a charter of rights in perpetuity."

rabindranath tagore
"i won't let you go"

like most people, when i make a promise, i try my best to keep it. but there are times when one thing drives out another, and the pledge is driven out with the another. blame it on human nature. blame it on me. blame it on the rain. imperfection vainly striving to produce perfection.

my friends will tell you i'm forgetful. i've never been able to remember my PIN number for my ATM card no matter how many times they have to send me a new one, or the date my credit card bill is due, or my students names from last year. but there are advantages to forgetfulness: i don't remember the inane things i uttered in class last semester, or (apparently) my encounter with a girl who wanted to beat the stuffing out of me in high school. these are things i wouldn't deem worth remembering.

but not Him. not the eternal Promiser. i find great comfort in the two edged sword of remembering. He never forgets a promise made or a forgiveness offered. while i'm struggling to remember why i stacked these rocks here (and why i made them so darn tall), He is whispering in my ear of promises made as i hospital cornered the sheets on my bed in hell.

and so i won't let the Creator go, even if in this fog i forget.

3 comments:

Justin said...

i loved reading this for so many reasons. the Lord uncovered the stones i had stacked up this past year-- the ones i started stacking almost a year ago today. i think it's time to make a new pile.

elea said...

start one for me will you? and put a legend by it this time so i'll remember what got me here.

Justin said...

i don't think i have the strength to pick up the first stone. maybe a few more draughts of liquid light would help. but i'm afraid to take the first swig.