2.11.2006

hearing voices

how do we decipher our Father's Voice from the voice of fear, doubt, or the enemy? how do i know this voice that speaks in my soul is not veiled and deceptive? i think i've finally come to the point where i realize GOD's voice will never trick or disappoint me, but in times of darkness i struggle with the thot that these soul urgings are not my dearest Friend. and so where do i go? what do i listen to? just last week something happened, and a cacophony of voices began to shout in my head. i floundered. i spun. i spiraled. i fled. was this GOD? was He trying to get my attention this way? in the midst of it all there was a moment of clarity. i was flung headlong into the story of elijah on the mountain of despair. GOD was not in the wind. GOD was not in the fire. GOD was not in the earthquake. GOD was not in the thunder. GOD was in the thin whisper after the clamor. GOD was in the quiet question: "what are you doing here?" i have come to know that GOD does not shriek at me like my fear and doubt does. i have also come to know that GOD does not call me a fool like the enemy does. underneath the deafening soul din of fear there is a voice whispering to me of love and forgiveness, urging me to take the next step. not to flee into the next step, but to passionately patiently quietly walk. and to be wholly in it without fear or doubt.

so i've heard.

No comments: