12.11.2005

“i shall be telling you all the time”

after a week that i decided i was mad at the LORD, and told Him so; after i told Him i wouldn’t be speaking to Him for a while because i was a little irritated; after i decided i would go ahead and read my Bible, but *still* not speak to Him; after all this, i decided to break the silence. sounds very unspiritual of me, but in the silence i was struck with how much the LORD loves me. it’s not about my love for Him at all! it’s not about what i can do to earn His love and favor. Christ already earned that for me. i am overwhelmed by the thought! He died so i can be saved. He died so i can carefreely live this life. He died so He can show His power and glory and great compassion through daily provision of needs and desires. so why do i think GOD won’t give me great things? when we talk of our expectations of the LORD we think too small. we don’t think of great expectations. we think of the possible not the impossible. GOD wants to give me abundantly above the possible! He wants to give me magic....yes, magic! when i’m praying i find myself asking for what is “best,” rather i should be asking for what is “unfathomable.” i’ve limited my view of what the LORD wants to do for me. it’s not that my expectations of GOD are too great. it’s that my view of GOD is too small. it’s not that i’ve gone too far. i haven’t gone far enough. GOD is not a bubble gum machine where if i put my 10 cent faith in i’ll get a blue one (even if i wanted a green one). GOD is willie wonka trying to create the perfect candy (because maybe i don’t want bubble gum!) after an exhilarating ride on a river of the finest chocolate. tailor made. handcrafted. commissioned. magic! this is what Christ was asking when He prayed: “Father take this cup from me....not my will, but your will be done.” He abandoned Himself in the unfathomable of His Father: in one act to save the entire world from the power of sin to lives brimming with the unfathomable. so i’m demanding the fulfillment of this promise. He wants me to. it makes the mundane, magical. meanwhile i find myself chewing on the sick-sweet blue bubble gum of small, man-minded contentment.

3 comments:

serendipity said...

the chocolate river and the candy being made just for you. keep asking. keep believing. thanks for being so encouraging and funny and just simply marvelous. spit out that nasty $.25 gumball and delight in the everlasting gobbstopper.

crt said...

"the great danger is not that we will renounce our faith, but settle for a mediocre version of it."john ortberg
habakkuk 2:3-4 says, "though it linger wait for it; it will certainly come and not delay. the the righteous will live by faith." it can also be translated, "though He linger, wait for him." Rejoice that your Father has heard your requests and has already prepared the answer.
where are you getting $.10 gumballs anyway?

elea said...

oh, i'm just forgetting this is 2005 and not 1980....how i love 1980!