11.02.2005

“who said anything about safe? ‘course he isn’t safe. but he’s good.”

“sometimes to one praying will come the feeling...’were it not better to abstain? if this thing be good, will He not give it me? would He not be better pleased if i left it altogether to Him?’ it comes, i think, of a lack of faith and childlikeness...it may even come of ambition after spiritual distinction.” george macdonald

this is exactly where i wallow! i don’t want to be “unspiritual” so i don’t pray specifically for my desires (my newest, favoritest word!), but rather i pray: “LORD, whatever you want.” (that is, after all, so much more spiritual a prayer!) am i saying it’s wrong to pray “Thy will be done?” not at all! i think we’re supposed to do that as well, but we miss out on so many presents by thinking if only we pray generally we won’t “get our feelings hurt.” praying specifically is so incredibly unsafe! frightening. frightening because i have to give up--abandon myself to GOD. i have to trust my Father implicitly. i have to stop trying to fill in the blanks where i foolishly think GOD has forgotten something.

if this is unsafe, may i live dangerously on the edge of prayer!

2 comments:

crt said...

lay before him what is in us, not what ought to be in us. - c.s.lewis of course.) i love this quote. it frees me to expose my fallen human nature to the one who knows it well instead of hiding beind all the "good christian virtues" which i've been taught. he doesn't care about my "virtues"; he cares about me.
He is good.

serendipity said...

those brilliant beavers. lovely, lovely, lovely quote. it doesn't take many adventures with aslan to know that safety isn't the issue- it's faith.